Saturday, September 19, 2009

Beasts of Burden #1

Written by Evan Dorkin
Art by Jill Thompson


Most comic artists can't draw dogs. I remember reading something by Dan Jurgens once - I think it was a spin-off mini-series from JMS's Rising Stars, and being embarrassed for him when I saw the dog in it - it looked like that robot dog-thing in the original Battlestar Galactica. Since then, I've noticed that whenever dogs, or often any animals, appear in comics, they look terrible, unless they're just standing very stiffly.

Jill Thompson can draw dogs. Really, Thompson can draw just about anything, but in this comic, it's the dogs that stand out. Okay, the giant demon frog stands out, but the dogs look very doggy. Thompson is able to give them all distinct personalities and character traits, but without really humanizing them. She keeps within the visual repertoire of the dog world. Her painted colours are beautiful, and this book really stands out.

This is not the type of book I would normally buy. Humour comics of the type Dorkin usually writes aren't my thing. I hated The Incredible Journey as a kid, and only liked The Littlest Hobo for the theme song. Don't get me started on Lassie or any other pet-based TV show. I'm not an animal person.

But, this book - about a group of animal paranormal investigators (think Buffy the Vampire Slayer, if everyone was a pet) - is now going to be added to my pull list on the strength of Thompson's beautiful art. The story is a good one - it has a demon frog after all, and I'm a little interested in the characters. And, if I haven't mentioned it yet, the book is damn pretty.

No comments: