Monday, September 21, 2009

100 Bullets Vol. 13: Wilt

Written by Brian Azzarello
Art by Eduardo Risso

That was a very satisfying series. I only started reading 100 Bullets in trade last fall, and now I'm sad that there won't be any more. Azzarello and Risso should be commended for putting out such a consistently challenging, compelling, and exciting comic. From the beginning, this book stood out as something very different from most other comics, and I enjoyed watching Azzarello pull together some pretty disparate plot threads to conclude his story with such finality.

I remember reading that not all the fans were happy with this ending, but I thought it was more than serviceable. I like that Agent Graves found himself trapped in the rules he had dedicated his life to serving, and really didn't expect many characters to survive this volume.

What always made this book interesting to me was the way Azzarello would introduce little side characters who, while their stories had nothing to do with the main plot line, were thematically linked to what is going on; in this case, the small hopper who is forced to murder another kid. These smaller stories brought the book down to a human level, and provided Risso with some amazing artistic opportunities.

I heartily recommend this series.

No comments: