Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Crate Digging: No Protection

Massive Attack Vs. Mad Professor

Well, here's something I haven't listened to in a very long time.  In the mid-90s, I was quite fond of listening to Massive Attack, whose commercial form of trip-hop is largely responsible (with The Herbaliser) for bringing me back towards hip-hop music.

Anyway, I stumbled upon No Protection, an album of Massive Attack remixes made by Mad Professor, and found myself playing this dubbed out approach to MA's catalogue at the store where I was working all the time.  It's trance-like beats helped shorten the day some.

This album, which I haven't played in at least twelve years, stands up quite well today.  The early tracks, which tackle Massive Attack's best-known pieces, 'Protection' and 'Karmacoma' still sound fresh, and I particularly like 'Backward Sucking', the remix of 'Heat Miser' which sounds like it's being played through a bong.

Good stuff, and good memories.

No comments: