Sunday, June 24, 2012

Casanova: Avaritia #4

Written by Matt Fraction
Art by Gabriel Bá

I think I need to be clear from the beginning, that I'm not entirely sure what all happened in this issue of Casanova.  I've only read it once, and I think it needs to be read again, perhaps with the other three issues that make up this volume.  Perhaps I'd need to start from the beginning again.

What I do know is that the earlier issues of this series, back when it was published by Image, were also confusing, but much, much easier to follow.  Does any of this matter though?  I'd say not, because part of the point of Casanova is that it's a balls-to-the-wall crazy comic, and you're just supposed to go along with the ride.  And any comic that is this beautiful doesn't have to make sense; that's what makes this artform so freaking wonderful.

What I do know is that Sabine Seychelle tries to take over EMPIRE in the wake of the attack by Kaito's giant robot, that people are running all over the place shooting each other, that Casanova Quinn disguises himself to look like Newman Xeno but then runs into the real deal, and that Gabriel Bá is a comics art god.

Do we need more than that?  I would like to see the next arc be a little a quieter again, as I don't think the story can maintain this frenetic pace much longer without losing all semblance of sense.  Casanova continues to be the best work that Matt Fraction's ever done, and I can't wait for the next mini-series, whenever it comes along.

No comments: