Friday, September 9, 2011

Screamland #4

Written by Harold Sipe and Christopher Sebela
Art by Lee Leslie and Buster Moody

I've enjoyed the 'Screamland' take on classic monster movies, but really feel like Sipe and Sebela upped their game with Robrain, who I originally thought was just your typical 'Nazi brain in robot body' character, before this issue.  I don't want to spoil anything (although if you study the cover carefully, you can figure it out for yourself), but this is revealed in a way that makes perfect sense, and surprises me that it hasn't been used before.

The Robrain stuff is not the central focus of the issue (although the back-up drawn by Buster Moody does provide his full origin), and in addition to that, we learn what really happened in the Phantasmagorgya sex video that our two heroes are rushing to find before it can get leaked to the press.  That revelation is not much of a surprise to anyone other than Travis, who had passed out that night and always assumed it was a normal orgy he'd missed.

This book is a lot of fun, and while I have doubts that there is enough material to keep it going past this arc, I am enjoying the ride.

No comments: