Saturday, November 14, 2009

B.P.R.D. 1947 #5

Written by Mike Mignola and Joshua Dysart
Art by Gabriel Bá and Fábio Moon


I'm still squarely on the fence about this title. I have loved the art throughout - Bá and Moon are favourites of mine and they did not disappoint here (bring on Daytrippers!), but the story came across as very disjointed. Perhaps a lot of that is due to the fact that I'm pretty unfamiliar with the Hellboy-verse - I'm sure there are a lot of nods to things that happened later in the continuity - but this was not the most accessible entry point for a new reader.

Now, there were a lot of individual elements in this issue that I did like. The character of Ota Benga is an interesting one, and I liked the way his exorcism was portrayed as taking place on two different levels. I just wish there had been a little more to tie the whole series together for me - I feel like I don't know why this story was told.

No comments: