Sunday, May 24, 2009

Abundance

by PPP

On the back cover, PPP claim that they have "reclaimed the music of their city", and that "the golden Motown era sounds that their parents played while they were growing up have been given a thorough and respectful re-rub for a new century and a new generation of listeners." As a mission statement, that is a very ambitious one, but one that I feel the band has largely been able to pull off.

Waajeed and Saadiq come at this album with a very consistent sound, and it is one steeped in Motown, but with a more modern (ie., post-Dilla) sensibility to it. The drums on these songs are incredible. Coultrain and Karma Stewart are strong vocalists.

I find that many of the songs on this album blur for me, partly due to the expert mixing, and also due to the fact that they don't seem, as individual parts, to be as memorable as they are as a whole piece. That's fine with me - I like listening to full albums, but at the same time, I don't expect many of these tracks to make their way onto my ipod. The exception to that is 'The Ghost of Aveiro', a South American influenced number that always seems to stick in my head after listening to this disk.

No comments: