Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Noir

by Blue Sky Black Death

This latest album by the production duo of Blue Sky Black Death has to be one of the prettiest things I've listened to all year.  I've always been approached by the cinematic, lush sound of BSBD, on projects such as Slow Burning Lights, Late Night Cinema, and Third Party, but this disc sets itself apart.

To begin with, I don't understand why this album is called Noir, when it doesn't really have that flavour to it.  When I think of 'noir', I expect to hear something sinister and foreboding; instead, this album is beautiful and warm throughout.

In addition to Young God and Kingston, there are appearances on this disc by Raised By Wolves, and by their Third Party collaborator Alexander Chen, who both sings and plays the viola.  Other vocals are by Rob Harris and Shaprece Renee.  This is a fantastic album.

No comments: