Sunday, August 28, 2011

Murder Book Vol. 2

Written by Ed Brisson
Art by Vic Malhotra and Michael Walsh

The first issue of Murder Book was one of the nicest surprises I picked up at TCAF this year; a regular-sized comic with two very well-written and drawn crime stories in it.  I was very pleased when I saw a new issue at Brisson's table at Fan Expo this last week-end, and snatched it up in a hurry.

Unfortunately, there is nothing in here by artist Simon Roy, whose work has been on my radar since reading Jan's Atomic Heart, but Brisson has found a pair of talented collaborators in Malhotra and Walsh.

Both of these stories are pretty dark, just like in the first book.  The first involves a street-level criminal being accused of taking from his 'company'.  The second involves a man, who I presume was a police officer, who had been shot and left in a wheelchair.  Years after the event, he has the man who shot him tied down to a chair right in front of him.  It's a pretty taut little psychological story.

In all, this is again a very capable and interesting compilation series.  I hope to find another issue at another event some day.

No comments: