Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Blue Estate #5

Written by Viktor Kalvachev, Kosta Yanev, and Andrew Osborne
Art by Viktor Kalvachev, Toby Cypress, Nathan Fox, Paul Maybury, and Marley Zarcone

Blue Estate shifted in tone a little with this issue.  While there has always been a humorous aspect to this comic (dark, dark humour), this issue seemed to be much lighter and almost sillier, from word play (the Sudoku scene), physical humour (termites), and the silliness of bodyguards trying on wigs.  I'm not even going to talk about the garden gnomes.

I don't get it - Kalvachev and his team have been angling this to be a pretty dark story, but now I'm not so sure.  Still, it's pretty entertaining, so I'm not going anywhere.

There is a new introduction to the art team with this issue, and that is Marley Zarcone.  I first noticed Zarcone's work on Nick Spencer's Forgetless, and I was immediately impressed.  She's a talented artist whose style fit seamlessly with the others who work on this comic.

No comments: