Thursday, August 11, 2011

Hellboy: The Fury #3

Written by Mike Mignola
Art by Duncan Fegredo

I've always liked beginnings better than endings.  In life, as in stories, the start of the journey always seems more exciting, fraught with dangers, and alive with possibilities.  Endings seem kind of final, even when they open the door to something new.

I'm a recent convert to Hellboy, having only started reading the title about two years ago, and quickly getting caught up to the current storyline.  Basically, ten plus years of storytelling culminates in this issue here, as plots that have been running as long as the series more or less get resolved, and Mignola puts his big red hero in a new environment, where he will start his next adventure.

The book is full of massive battles, and tons of gorgeously detailed images of destruction, but I liked the beginning of the whole thing better.  Endings to large sweeping epics always seem a little small and a little like a cop-out.  That said, I do look forward to the next time we see Hellboy, even if it's not going to be for at least six months.  In fact, I kind of need a break from him, which is something that never happens to me with Mignola's other regular title, BPRD.  I expected that this conclusion would bring HB back to his former comrades-in-arms, but that wasn't to be.

I realize that I'm not actually on the fence about this comic; I'm just kind of indifferent to it. 

No comments: