Saturday, May 1, 2010

Shuddertown #2

Written by Nick Spencer
Art by Adam Geen

Where the first issue of Shuddertown drew me in right away, this issue keeps me squarely interested in Detective Hernandez and his difficult case.  Actually, nothing happens on the case of the murders that appear to have been committed by other dead people at all in this issue.  Instead, Hernandez spends the issue recovering from the beat down he received last time around, and talking to a local priest about urban decay and the history of the Shuddertown neighbourhood.

Hernandez is one messed up guy, taking drugs and getting involved with strippers.  It's clear that he's losing his grip, and seems to be stuck on a squirrel-hunting incident from his childhood.

I have no idea where this comic is going.  We keep being told on the back of the book and in interviews with the writer that 'nothing is as it seems', and I'm very interested in finding out what is going on in this story.

Green's art is growing on me even more, and I love his David Mack-esque cover.

No comments: