Saturday, May 8, 2010

iZombie #1

Written by Chris Roberson
Art by Michael Allred

I thought this new Vertigo series was worth checking out for two reasons:  1.  Michael Allred art; and 2.  It only cost one dollar.  I think that the one dollar first issue promotion has worked well for Vertigo - many of the series they've tried it with have maintained better sales figures than usual, although I think this is the first one that I might not have bought at regular price, and that's because I don't know the writer (I haven't read his Cinderella Fables spin-off).

The story of I, Zombie is set in Eugene Oregon, and features a strange cast of characters.  Our main character, Gwen, is a zombie who needs to eat human brains about once a month to maintain her own synaptic fortitude.  Her best friend is a ghost who has been dead for a number of years.  Also poking around town are Scott/Spot, a werewolf who is smitten with Gwen, and a vampire who works at a paintball place (and who, in this issue, doesn't seem to have anything to do with any of the other characters).

It's hard to tell from this issue where this series is going.  Gwen has a former life that she's hiding from, and collects Dixie Mason Action Girl dolls.  She also likes to hang out at a diner called Dixie's Firehouse.  The preponderance of Dixie's can't be a coincidence, but I have no clue what its significance could be at this point in things.

Roberson is writing this in a knowing, ironic way which works well here, but could turn irritating in a few months.  I'll definitely read it through the first arc on the strength of Allred's fantastic art, and the fact that Gwen reminds me of Dead Girl from Milligan and Allred's classic X-Force and X-Statix runs.

No comments: