Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Walking Dead #63 / Chew #1

Written by Robert Kirkman and John Layman
Art by Charlie Adlard and Rob Guillory

Okay, so The Walking Dead #63 is definitely the deal of the week, as it includes the entire first issue of Chew, at no extra charge.

Even without the extra, The Walking Dead is well-worth the purchase, as this is another excellent issue of the best series Image puts out. In this issue, everyone looks for Dale, and then goes to that new guy's church. As usual, the level of tension builds throughout the issue, and at the end, we get to check in on Dale and the people who took him last issue.

I'll admit - that 'big reveal' was a little predictable. I'm not sure that type of thing makes sense in The Walking Dead universe, as it hasn't been all that long since the zombie thing started happening, but I don't want to spoil it.

Including Chew on the back of this book is an interesting idea. I picked up the first issue when it came out, flipped through it, and decided I wasn't really interested and put it back on the stands. Of course, a week after that, it was selling at massive prices on Ebay, and I immediately regretted my non-purchase.

Beyond that though, reading it for free in black and white, I have to say it's a good comic. I don't know why the internet would have decided to make this the 'must-have' book of 2009 though.

Chew is set in the near-future, after poultry has been outlawed due to bird flu, and pushed underground into Chicken joint speakeasies. Tony Chu is a police officer with the ability to gain psychic imprints off of the things he eats. In this issue, he realizes that a guy working in a chicken restaurant is a serial killer and confronts him.

This issue does a good job of setting up an interesting premise. The art is a little looser than what usually appeals to me, and I think that is what turned me off the book in the first place. It's definitely an interesting concept, and it's played here for laughs. I guess I'll look for the 2nd issue, if that's even possible now, and see how I feel about the series.

No comments: