Friday, July 17, 2009

Robotika: For a Few Rubles More Double-Size #1&2

Written by Alex Sheikman and David Moran
Art by Alex Sheikman

Were it not for the inclusion of Chew #1 with The Walking Dead, this would be this week's best value buy for certain. As part of their return to publishing, Archaia is doubling up issues of some of their titles, and then selling them at a $4.99 price point, which is a lot of comics at a decent price.

This issue contains the first two chapters of the second Robotika series. I never read the first one, but tend to like Archaia's books, and decided that this would be worth trying out. I'm glad I got it, as it's a very good title.

As a first issue, it kind of assumes that the reader is already familiar with the characters and the setting, which I wasn't, but there was enough going on here that I was immediately intrigured, and hooked.

Robotika is a gritty, Japanese-influenced cyber-punk Western. Do I need to say much more than that? Sheikman's art is fantastic - it has a very French look to it, and the story unfolds at a nice pace. I'm going to hunt down the first trade now, and am looking forward to the next issue, which is supposedly coming out in August.

1 comment:

Alex Sheikman said...

Thanks for picking up the book. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Alex S-