Saturday, December 22, 2012

Thief of Thieves #11

Written by Robert Kirkman and James Asmus
Art by Shawn Martinbrough

As much as I've been enjoying Robert Kirkman's heist slash family drama series Thief of Thieves, this second arc has been a good example of why sometimes it's better to tradewait a series.  Usually, I can't be bothered waiting months on end for a story to be completed, and prefer to get the smaller chapters on a monthly basis.  I find I prefer it in terms of keeping engaged with the story, and because I just love the monthly comics format.

This book though, moves at a strange pace that would work better in larger servings.  With each issue, which is always well-written, it takes me a while to back into the swing of the storyline, and then I always feel that the book is over too quickly.  I know that these are the complaints many comics readers have about most series, but there are only a few where I feel this so acutely.

Anyway, in this issue, Redmond and Augustus start to plan to rescue Augustus's girlfriend from the cartel this is holding her hostage.  They don't have as much time to plan as Redmond prefers, and so he's having to work closer to his son's pace, which is not good, considering what a failure of a thief his son has been.

It's clear that Kirkman and Asmus want to reconcile the two men with each other, and I think that Redmond wants that too, but circumstances keep stopping that from happening.  Reading this, I can't help but think about what a network like HBO would do with this property.

No comments: