Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Walking Dead #90

Written by Robert Kirkman
Art by Charlie Adlard and Cliff Rathburn


When I picked up the seventh issue of this comic (my first) so many years ago, I never would have guessed what an entertainment juggernaut the whole thing would become.  The second season of the TV show has begun (and is a huge improvement over the ending of the first), a novel has been released chronicling the adventures of The Governor, and the comic continues to enjoy a sales increase month after month.  Actually, I wonder if that's not a record - so few comics see an increase beyond special issues, let alone a sustained increase.

Anyway, at the centre of all of this media domination is the comic, and it's moving along as strongly as ever, although it's been getting pretty talky lately.  This issue is a big one for speeches, as Rick handles the people that have been fomenting revolt in the community, and attacked Glenn last issue, before he moves on to have long chats with Carl and Andrea.  Meanwhile, Maggie's showing signs of cracking again, and Carl comes home to recover from his injuries.

As always, there's a surprise ending, which I saw coming somewhere around the middle of the last issue.  It feels a little like it's breaking one of the last taboos in this comic, and I'm not sure I like what is going on.  I'm hoping that Kirkman is going to handle this situation properly.  You'll note that I'm not saying a word about what it is - I wouldn't want to spoil things for anyone.

Also, interestingly, there is not a single roamer or other zombie in this issue.  Usually that means that an attack is coming...

No comments: