Friday, October 28, 2011

The Li'l Depressed Boy #7

Written by S. Steven Struble
Art by Sina Grace

While reading this comic, I find that I always enjoy it.  Almost immediately after I've closed the book though, I find it difficult to explain the spell it puts me under.  Really, almost nothing happens in this comic.  LDB and his friend drive, it rains, LDB naps, they go to a concert.  Along the way, they talk about LDB's issue with Jazz (should he stay 'just friends' or give up on her altogether?), and LDB thanks Drew for being his friend.

This comic is the poster boy for decompressed story telling, yet there is such a sweetness and charm to the comic, that I don't really care.  Sina Grace's art is improving with every issue, and the little character moments that make up this comic are enjoyable.

Struble really pushes a lot of bands I've never heard of, and I wonder what it says about me that I find I lack the motivation to look up a group like Andrew Jackson Jihad online, even though the lyrics shown here are pretty nice.

Great cover by Steve Rolston.  I love the way these guys are getting a number of indie artists to draw covers for them (previous contributors have been Rob Guillory and Charlie Adlard).  I'd love to see a Brandon Graham, Marian Churchland, or James Stokoe cover for this book.

No comments: