Monday, March 14, 2011

Next Stop... Soweto Vol. 2

Soultown, R&B, Funk & Psych Sounds from the Townships 1969-1976

Before listening to this fantastic compilation, my entire knowledge of the music of South Africa was limited to that god-awful gumboot dancing music that was responsible, in a round-about way, for such monstrosities as the Step Up movies, and of course the incomparable Tumi and the Volume

Anyway - this is an amazing collection of a wide variety of styles and genres of music that were produced in difficult conditions in the townships of apartheid-era South Africa.  There is a nice mix as we range over these 22 tracks.

Favourites include The Grasshoppers' 'I Am There' with its driving piano, The Mgababa Queens' 'Akulalwa Soweto', and The Klooks' 'Nkuli's Shuffle'.  I don't have the first or third volumes in the series, and that is something I feel I'm going to have to rectify quickly.

No comments: