Thursday, March 10, 2011

Captain Swing and the Electrical Pirates of Cindery Island #3

Written by Warren Ellis
Art by Raulo Caceres

This comic was supposed to be out in May of 2010, and the last issue was released (also behind schedule) in July.  To be honest, I'd pretty much forgotten that it existed, so seeing it on the schedule for this week was a surprise.

It took me a little to get back into the story, as I had a hard time remembering where things had left off, but once it all came back to me, it was easy enough to get back in the swing of Ellis's Victorian electrical pirate story (pun intended).

At the heart of this story is a Peeler (a British proto-cop), who is in the middle of a conflict with a rival force of magistrates, to uncover the identity of the mysterious Captain Swing.  The Peeler has been taken to Cindery Island, and makes some good points about Swing's organization and the quality of his help.  At that point, the other guy shows up, and there is mayhem.

Ellis is plotting this one by the numbers, but it is still a very readable comic, with decent art.  I hope that the last issue comes out before I've completely forgotten about this one.

No comments: