Saturday, March 12, 2011

BPRD Hell on Earth - Gods #3

Written by Mike Mignola and John Arcudi
Art by Guy Davis

There are a couple of things that have happened in this issue of BPRD that I'm not sure how I feel about.  To discuss one would spoil the ending of the comic, so I'm not going to do that, beyond complaining about how it's going to be a few months before we find out what happens to a favourite character, as the next mini-series is going to spotlight Liz Sherman.

The other thing, that I know I don't like, is that Guy Davis is leaving this title with this issue.  Davis's art was part of the draw for me to become immersed in the Hellboy/BPRD universe last year, and I'm really going to miss his portrayal of these characters.  At the same time, I'm always excited to see how new artists interpret established settings and characters, so hopefully it will all turn out for the good.

As for the actual content of this comic that I will discuss, it's really quite good.  Abe and his BPRD team catch up with the Bedouin group they've been tracking, as they hunt for the mysterious young woman named Fenix.  Finding them involves dealing with some giant, bizarre monsters, and some surprising stuff happens in the end.  Mignola and Arcudi make good use of the rivalry between Abe and Devon, which is clearly not as resolved as the last issue led us to believe.  The silent scene with Devon and Fenix is a perfect example of why I'm going to miss Guy Davis on this book.

No comments: