Sunday, March 13, 2011

27 #4

Written by Charles Soule
Art by Renzo Podesta

This exploration of the fleetingness of creativity and talent has been a very enjoyable series.  Will Garland, in this issue, confronts the embodiment of the number 9, and the Erebus, which has been plaguing him.  His argument is that true creative genius - be it musical, artistic, or otherwise - can not be given or gifted, but must be earned through hard work and perseverance.  It's an interesting argument, especially when tossed in the face of an all-powerful entity that views itself as being responsible for the breadth of human creativity.

Twenty-Seven has been a very cool series.  When it started, I expected it was going to go in a different direction (although I'm not sure what that would have been), although I really enjoyed the track that it took.

On the back cover, there is an ad for Twenty-Seven: Second Set.  I'm not sure that there is a lot of room left here for sequels - to my mind, this is a very nicely self-contained story, but I'm curious to see where the creators move next with this.

No comments: