Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Mission #2

Written by John Hoeber and Erich Hoeber
Art by Werther Dell'Edera

I'd picked up the first issue of The Mission on spec, based on the strength of Dell'Edera's art.  It was interesting enough that I thought I'd give the second issue a shot, and I find that I'm enjoying it.

I was surprised to see that this issue wrapped up the main story from the first issue; I've been trained to think in six-issue arc, and so this was a nice surprise.

The main character is an everyday guy named Paul, who was contacted mysteriously by someone named Gabriel and told to kill a man he'd never met.  He waffled, and the man ended up pulling a gun out during his divorce trial, killing a few people, and kidnapping his daughter.  Paul feels responsible, and is now being told that it is his responsibility to track down the man and rescue the girl.

There are massive Biblical overtones in all of this, and in the intimation that there are two opposing forces fighting a proxy war which has them recruiting random people like Paul.  I'm not sure if future issues of this book will feature other main characters, or if we are going to follow Paul throughout this whole story.  Even though this issue provides a lot of closure, I'm still interested enough to pick up the next one.

No comments: