Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Li'l Depressed Boy #2

Written by S. Steven Struble
Art by Sina Grace

I'd had little intention to start reading this series, but the first issue was interesting enough that I thought I'd give the second and try, and the damn book is so beguiling and charming that I think I'm hooked.

The Li'l Depressed Boy is a strange series.  It's about the LDB, who is a rag doll (I think), but no one talks about that.  He also doesn't seem the least bit depressed; he seems more like the type of person that struggles with the simple mechanics of life, in the Scott Pilgrim vein (more on that in a moment).

In this issue, he realizes that he doesn't know the name of the girl that he met last issue (and has dated 1.5 times).  They play video games, go bowling (in a very funny scene that introduces the concept of style points), and eventually, have to confront the fact that he is still ignorant of how to refer to her.

The charm of this series really does come straight out of the Scott Pilgrim school, although Grace's artwork appears to be only slightly manga-influenced.  Maybe not a whole lot really happened in this issue, but enough happened that I want to read about what happens next.

No comments: