Monday, November 10, 2008

Lucha Libre #6

by Jerry Frissen, Bill, and others

This is one of those books that could only be published by Image. It's an anthology series of comic strips about Mexican Luchadores that were originally published in Europe, and either were inspired by a line of toys, or vice versa (I've never been clear on that).

This issue is not the strongest I've seen, but that's mostly because I'm not a huge fan of Profesor Furia, the cover character this time out. I'm also not crazy about the Luchadoritos back-up (although they do have the best name).

What I love about this book is the Luchadores Five serial. This issue has our heroes sitting out of a fight between a group of surfers and the Creatures from the Black Leather Lagoon. The humor and the ingenuity of the different friends and foes of these unemployed heroes is what makes this my favorite part.

Next issue is set to include the return of Tequila, and the Tikitis, both of whose adventures I have enjoyed in the past.

The first trade is due out soon, and at $14.99, it's a steal (especially compared to $6.99 for the individual issues - which still feels worth it, as there is plenty of content in each handsome over-sized book).

No comments: