Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Doomtree

I like albums that are made by a large roster of artists, and this cd fits the bill. Doomtree are a collective out of Minneapolis, and have connections to Rhymesayers Entertainment. I first heard about them through the POS album 'Audition', and liked their more alternative sound.

This album has contributions from everyone within the group, but I think the star of this album is the female MC, Dessa. She sings, and raps in both English and Spanish, and she shows a lot of range - tender on one song, tough and confrontational on another.

Favourite tracks - the posse cut 'Drumsticks', the Cecil Otter (buy his album!)/Dessa duet 'Last Call', 'Sadie Hawkins', and Mictlan's track, 'Game Over'. I would have liked to see a few more tracks featuring POS, but then, I've heard he has a new solo album coming soon, so I'm happy to wait for that.

I've seen some reviews criticize the production (Lazerbeak, MK Larada, and POS among others) for sounding too alike, but I find that the Doomtree sound really works.

No comments: