Sunday, November 9, 2008

When Life Gives You Lemons

Atmosphere
I know that this cd has been out for a while now, but I've only just taken it out of my car, where it was getting played a couple of times a week since it was released.

Slug and Ant are the truth. I've been a fan of theirs for a while now, and I've really enjoyed seeing them grow as artists and as people. As much as I've enjoyed hearing Slug rhyme about his problems, I like that he's now looking at life from a more mature perspective, and applying the lessons he's learned to his storytelling.

The addition of a live band has strengthened their appeal to me - the beats on this cd are amazing (even if my favorite track on here has Slug rhyming over a solo guitar).

Stand out tracks include: Guarantees, Me, Like the Rest of Us, Dreamer, Painting, and Yesterday, but the whole album works well as a cohesive unit played from start to finish.

If you haven't bought this yet, buy the Deluxe Edition. Slug's written a children's book, but the real prize is the live concert DVD. Man, that guy can sweat. I don't ever want to be in the first couple of rows at one of his shows.....

No comments: