Saturday, November 15, 2008

Dead of Night: Devil-Slayer #3

Written by Brian Keene
Art by Chris Samnee


This is a good little series. I skipped the previous Dead of Night series, featuring Man-Thing, because it didn't really have anything about it that grabbed me, but I went for this one because of two reasons: one, I like war comics, and two, I like Chris Samnee.

Samnee first caught my eye in an issue of Checkmate, and then in one of the new Queen & Country trades that Oni are putting out now. This guy is a great artist. His style is very simple and easy on the eyes, and he tells his stories well.

The plot of this comic is your more or less straight forward 'last in a line of mystic defenders fights demons posing as military contractors in a war zone' type of story, but all the beats are in the right place, and you are entertained throughout.

The covers for this series, by Kaare Andrews, have been fantastic.

No comments: