Saturday, November 22, 2008

Air #4

Written by G. Willow Wilson
Art by M.K. Perker


I really enjoyed Cairo, the graphic novel released by Wilson and Perker last year. It was a magical-realist adventure that I found fascinating. I was quite happy to hear that they were given an on-going series by Vertigo, and I have been finding Air to be confusing, but interesting.

This issue brings Blythe and friends (and enemies) back to the real world, through the intervention of a feathered serpent, but before Blythe can process things, her boss drags her to Mexico to act as a spy in a possible hostile-takeover of Clearfleet airlines.

It is apparent that there is a plan at play for this book, but I have no idea what it is. There are ruminations on reality, and I really liked the concept of Narimar, the forgotten country, but I'm not sure in the least where this book is going (especially after the last page of this issue). The thing is, I don't see that as a bad thing. I trust that the story is going to stay interesting, and right now, I'm just going to see where it leads.

No comments: