Friday, May 11, 2012

Lobster Johnson: The Burning Hand #5

Written by Mike Mignola and John Arcudi
Art by Tonci Zonjic

I wasn't all that invested in this series when it began, but by the end, I was really pretty happy with it.  I think the first issue started off a little too slowly for my liking and was too mired in the standard trappings of a pulp vigilante to really catch my interest.  What kept me coming back was the strength of Tonci Zonjic's art (no surprise there - the guy's stuff is gorgeous), although I slowly developed more of an interest in the story.

The biggest problem with this series is that I don't care about Lobster Johnson at all.  The guy is a cipher - we know nothing about his motivations, or why he has such a dedicated network of helpers.  He doesn't seem like the type that anyone would go out on a limb for.  I think that future stories featuring him will really need to work at fleshing him out - it's not like when he first appeared in the Hellboy comics and fit in a supporting role - if he's going to star in his own book, there has to be a reason to care for him.

Still, I did enjoy this series in the long-run, but mostly because of the incredible set pieces that Mignola and Arcudi set up for Zonjic to draw.  Previous issues had some very cool scenes featuring the Black Flame, and this issue has an amazing image of the Lobster and a basement full of cannibals (although I don't understand how they are distinct from zombies).

No comments: