Thursday, May 3, 2012

Epic Kill #1

by Raffaele Ienco

I wasn't going to bother with this new Image mini-series.  I've been more or less picking up each new series they've published lately, as they've been on fire, but the cover and concept of this one didn't grab me.  Then I saw a few pages of art from this first issue at a convention a month or so back, and I thought that really I should give this a try, as I liked the look of it.

Unfortunately, I think that my first instincts were right when it comes to this project.  Epic Kill is about a young woman who is a notorious killer, who is in a mental institution with no memory of who she is or why she is there.  Over the course of this first comic, a guard tries to rape her and when she kills him, it brings back her memory of herself, just as a trio of gangsters come to kill her.  She escapes, and spends the rest of the issue on the run.  Eventually, in the most interesting part of the comic, we learn just how notorious she is.

I have a few problems with this comic.  The first is the blatant misogyny of many of the characters.  While in the institution, our killer and her fellow inmates are tossed into a shower in their underwear, where a shirtless guard hoses them down, saying, "Clean those holes for me."  Really.

My second problem lies in the familiarity of the material.  The film pitch for this would basically be 'Elektra: Assassin meets Kill Bill meets Killing Girl,' but just not as good as any of those.  And I didn't like Kill Bill at all.  There is no disputing that Ienco is a talented artist, but last page revelation aside, this project left me cold.

No comments: