Friday, April 22, 2011

The Sixth Gun #11

Written by Cullen Bunn
Art by Brian Hurtt

The second story arc ends with this issue, as a number of forces searching for the guns collide in the cemetery where Drake has hidden them.  Kirby Hale, the would-be thief has made off with the guns, but at the same time, a number of priests from the Sword of Abraham arrive, as does Marinette of the Dry Arms, a loa who resides around New Orleans.

This is a pretty exciting issue, as Drake and his friends fight to reclaim the powerful weapons.  It also sets up the next story arc very nicely, as some of our heroes decide to remain with the Sword of Abraham.  I'm curious to learn more about this group, which once counted Becky's step-father among its number.

The Sixth Gun surprised me when it became an on-going series.  I saw it as more of an infrequent new mini-series kind of title, but I've been very pleased with Bunn and Hurtt's ability to maintain a monthly schedule, and turn out a very good comic on such a regular basis.  I hope that things don't start slipping as Bunn seems to be getting more and more work at Marvel (I don't want it to go the way of Oni's other amazing series, Wasteland, which has basically disappeared).

This book has a lot of interesting characters, and I love the way that Bunn is building this world.  Hurtt's work on this comic is incredible.

No comments: