Thursday, April 7, 2011

iZombie #12

Written by Chris Roberson
Art by Gilbert Hernandez

With this issue of iZombie (I've noticed that the indicia has changed the title to this spelling, instead of the I, Zombie that it started with - yes, I notice things like this), Roberson gives us something a little different.

This issue is focused on Ellie, Gwen's ghostly friend.  We see what seems to be more or less a typical day in her after-life, as she hangs out in the cemetery swapping stories with her neighbours.  An old Aboriginal woman tells a legend that her people believed in, while an old cowboy tells a tale involving Chinese tunnels under Portland, zombies, and the white-suited monster fighters of that time.  We also learn Ellie's history leading up to her death, and it becomes more clear why she is as naive and unworldly as she is.

At the end of the issue, Ellie meets Gwen, and we see how their friendship got its start.  It's a nice issue, with great art by guest Gilbert Hernandez.  I like how he has switched up his style for the different tales told (kind of like an issue of House of Mystery, except I like it).  I love Allred's work on this book, but if he needs a break again, I hope they give Hernandez a call.

No comments: