Saturday, April 9, 2011

Green Wake #1

Written by Kurtis Wiebe
Art by Riley Rossmo

Here's another Image book that I didn't know anything about prior to purchasing it, and was more or less pleased with the decision after I read it.

Green Wake is definitely mysterious, as I don't fully understand the rules around the town that the book is named after.  It seems that people just arrive there, and can't leave, or if they can, it's through something like Babylon.  To that end, it reminded me a lot of Pizzeria Kamikaze, the wonderful graphic novel by Etgar Keret and Asaf Hanuka, the difference here being that the people of Green Wake aren't dead.

At least, most of them aren't, although a couple of bodies do turn up.  It would seem that one of the residents of the town, who all usually keep to themselves, has gone nuts and started killing.  Strangely, just around the same time, a new person arrives who knew the girl before.

This is all discovered by our heroes, who have taken on a leadership/detective role in the community.  I'm not sure how exactly this all works - if everyone is reclusive, who operates stores or businesses?  I am interested in seeing where this is going.

I'm starting to tire of Riley Rossmo's art. I liked his work a lot during the early days of Proof, but have started to tire of it on that book.  I feel like he's more suited to this type of noir-ish story, and to pages that are coloured with only a single colour.  I'm pretty sure I'll pick up the next issue.

No comments: