Friday, January 21, 2011

Morning Glories #6

Written by Nick Spencer
Art by Joe Eisma

I guess Nick Spencer got worried that his book was becoming a little too clear, as relationships between characters were getting established, and a lot of hints were being dropped as to what all is going on in this comic.  So, the natural thing to do would be to have a one-off issue that is set in the future, and revolves around a young female physicist who is on the run from negligible homicide charges.

The issue opens on this physicist, Julie Hayes, arriving at what we presume is the Morning Glory Academy, although it looks like it's seen better days.  Through layered flashback sequences, we puzzle together her life story, and see that she was working on a spinning conical thing that looks like the one discovered by some of the students last month.

There is a surprise revelation at the end of the issue, when the identity of her recruiter is revealed, although it's pretty much telegraphed throughout the whole book, and therefore isn't much of a surprise.  I'm not sure how to incorporate what we learn with what I already know about this series, and I'm curious to see where Spencer goes next.  I do have a nagging voice in the back of my head though, which is warning me that this might all end as badly as Lost did, as I find myself making more and more comparisons to that show.

No comments: