Sunday, January 9, 2011

Authenticity

by The Foreign Exchange

There is no need to listen to any kind of pop music other than The Foreign Exchange.  They construct these perfect little songs, which are on one hand completely effervescent and forgettable, and on the other all the more wonderful for that same reason.

I've been listening to Authenticity, their third album, for some months now, and could not, off the top of my head, name a single song, but at the same time, when it's on, I find myself singing along quite easily, which was how I found myself reacting to their last album as well.

It's interesting that the two men at the core of this project, Little Brother's Phonte Coleman and producer Nicolay, are best known for their contributions to the world of hip-hop, because they come across as having such delicate sensibilities here.

The eleven tracks on this album mostly have Phonte singing; he only raps on a couple of occasions.  Nicolay is joined by Zo! on a couple of tracks, and Phonte is backed by Chantae Cann and Yahzarah, who actually finishes the album with a mostly solo track, 'This City Ain't The Same Without You', which is my favourite of the album.

I highly recommend checking this out if you are looking for some lovely, light-hearted music.

No comments: