Thursday, January 6, 2011

iZombie #9

Written by Chris Roberson
Art by Michael Allred

This issue of I, Zombie felt a lot shorter than the other ones, and it can't simply be because DC is now publishing 20, instead of 22 page books.  How much can two pages affect a story?  I didn't expect to notice a difference.

I think the problem is more that nothing really gets resolved in this issue.  Spot plays a role playing game with his friends, who are somewhat suspicious of him lately, but nothing comes of it.  Diogenes has a flashback, and is followed by two vampires, but nothing comes of it.  Gwen and Horatio play mini-golf until Gwen is overcome by a vision, but it doesn't lead to much (although it might later...).  Ellie wants a body, but (I'm sure you get the idea).  The same thing holds for the scene with Professor Galatea, Amon, and a hooded guy who buys something off Galatea's new 'assistant'.

I'm sure, as part of a trade, this chapter will read just fine, but on it's own, it seemed a little light weight.  Also, as much as I like Allred's art, I didn't like the way he drew Spot in this issue - he looked different from usual.  It's all good though - this is a very good comic, and with the number of characters and sub-plots that Roberson's juggling, we're bound to run across the odd comic that gets stretched too thin.

No comments: