Saturday, July 30, 2011

Nigeria 70 Sweet Times

Afro-Funk, Highlife & Juju from 1970s Lagos

While, it's yet another compilation of 70s music from Nigeria.  I've been listening to a lot of these over the last two years, and I have to say that they don't really change a whole lot from one to the next.  There's a part of me that suggests to myself that I would probably be just as happy simply playing the same three over and over, but I'm one of those people who feels that a constant stream of new examples of the same thing is better.

This compilation, fifteen tracks deep, has been put together by the fine people at Strut, and it has a different vibe to it than some of the other discs I've bought.  This one is cheerful from end to end, as it conveys a sense of the positive possibilities of this music.  Gone are the more political tracks (at least, that's how it feels), and instead we get tracks like Tunde Mabadu's 'Viva Disco (Instrumental)'.

The crowning moment of this disc is Admiral Dele Abiodun & His Top Hitters International, who perform 'It's Time for Juju Music', a fifteen minute number that goes off on many tangents before always coming back to it's upbeat chorus.

There's a lot to like on this album.

No comments: