Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Caja Y Guacharacha

Mixed by Quantic

I do love these mix cds put out by Mochilla.  On this one, which is a single track lasting 45 minutes, Quantic mixes up some very nice examples of traditional cumbia music from Colombia and Panama.

It's similar to his mix of Ethiopian music, Addis to Axum, which came out over a year ago.  I'm finding myself more and more drawn to Latin American music; perhaps it's just a nice accompaniment to the ridiculous heat we've been enduring of late, but this mix feels very right on days like today.

I would like to be able to discuss this piece in more detail, but unfortunately, since I don't know much about this type of music, I'd rather limit how I expose my ignorance.  This is a very nice companion to Madlib's Speto da Rua Brazilian mix for the same label.

No comments: