Sunday, February 1, 2009

Unknown Soldier #4

Written by Joshua Dysart
Art by Alberto Ponticelli


This series is now one of the four or five books I most look forward to each month. There is such a sense of suspense running through this title, and I love that it is so grounded in real events. That Uganda is so violent adds much to the tension - you never know when things are going to get worse. Dysart has made me care about Moses, Sera, and the Acholi people depicted in the book.

The art in this comic is fantastic. The colouring, by Oscar Celestini captures the flat brightness of the African sky.

In this issue, Moses continues his attempt to free the girls that had been captured by rebel forces, but ultimately leads them into a cross-fire when both the army and the rebels catch up to them at the same time. I'm curious to see what happens next issue, when Moses meets up with his CIA pursuer.

I can't praise this book enough - I wish more people were reading it.

No comments: