Friday, November 25, 2011

DMZ #71

Written by Brian Wood
Art by Riccardo Burchielli

For most of this comic, I was convinced that I was reading the final issue, and as such, I found myself getting annoyed with the extent to which this issue was only focusing on Matty, when so many other denizens of the DMZ have grown on me over the last six years.  It's all good though, as there's one more issue left...

Most of this issue is set in a courthouse, where Matty stands on trial.  As per his arrangement with the government, Matty is prepared to plead guilty to every charge brought against him, no matter how much they are based on twisted facts and narrow readings of events.  At the heart of this entire final story arc is Matty's intense guilt for his actions over the course of this series - to him, being punished for something he didn't do is as righteous a form of penance for the things that he actually did.

I like the way Wood and Burchielli flash back to events from the course of the series as the justices read out the charges.  It's a fitting way to look back over this series as it comes to its conclusion.  I've been thinking lately about how much this series is a product of its times, but I think I'll wait until next month to discuss that.  I'm going to miss this title.

No comments: