Friday, May 27, 2011

Skullkickers #7

Written by Jim Zubkavich
Art by Edwin Huang

I'm still more than a little surprised that I'm enjoying this comic as much as I am.  I don't usually go in for lighthearted sword and sorcery comics - it's just not my cup of tea - but Jim Zubkavich has constructed this book in such a way that I'm really enjoying it.

This issue marks the return of the series after a short hiatus, and starts the new arc, 'Five Funerals & a Bucket of Blood'.  Our heroes, who actually, finally, get named in this issue, are being taken to the capital city to be feted in their new roles as 'Heroes of Mudwich', after they saved the town from a monster in the first arc.

As is to be expected with these two characters, trouble is not far behind, and they quickly find themselves being ambushed while having dinner with a bunch of noblemen.  It's not much of a surprise when they get blamed for what happened, and have to go on the run once again.  The character work in this comic is excellent, and the dialogue between the two is often very funny.  I like Huang's artwork, which is starting to remind me of Leave It To Chance-era Paul Smith, were that book more influenced by manga.

This is a fun title.  If you haven't been reading it, this issue is a great place to pick it up and give it a try.  Plus, the trade is only $10, so you should get that too...

No comments: