Saturday, May 7, 2011

Black Swan Green

by David Mitchell

I've always held a strong dislike for contemporary British authors.  I don'tknow why really, but it's always been there.  I've often started reading a short story, or the first pages of a book that has looked interesting, to suddenly realize that the writer is probably English, and to immediately give up on it.  But then I read a review of David Mitchell's newest book in the New Yorker, and it made me very interested in sampling his wares.  Shortly after that, I saw this book at a used book store, and figured I'd give it a try.


Black Swan Green is a coming of age novel set in a small English village in the nineteen eighties.  It's main character is Jason Taylor, a thirteen year old boy with a stammer, who is acutely aware of his social standing in all situations (as only a British person can be).  The book unfolds over a string of connected episodes, as it chronicles a pretty big year in Jason's life.

Mitchell's portrayal of Thatcher's England is frequently amusing, and always full of insight.  Jason's parents aren't getting along, his sister has little time for him, and he is painfully aware of his lack of good friends, except for one who has a lower social standing than he does.  Mitchell covers a lot of the usual topics - young teen yearning, bullying, and the desire to remain invisible.  Jason secretly writes poems for the parish newsletter, and finds his only release through the free expression of words on paper, something he can't do in spoken situations.

I found the book to be very engaging, if still a little too British for me.  I'll definitely be looking for more of Mitchell's novels to read.

No comments: