Saturday, May 7, 2011

Green Wake #2

Written by Kurtis Wiebe
Art by Riley Rossmo

The first issue of this series left me in an uncertain place, but I thought I'd give the book another chance, and I'm definitely even more intrigued with this series than I was the first time around.  People just appear in Green Wake, a murky, damp looking town, with no memories of how they got there, and only a few of their former life.

In the first issue, two residents of the town who have decided to take on the role of police officers discover a body, and have a suspect.  In this issue, their investigation takes them to another body, before Morley - the human-looking cop - has a vision of a former lover that leads him to the home of the Wake's longest resident.

Things get weird there, as the guy looks more like a giant frog than he does a person, and Morley and his partner (who looks more than a little froggish himself) don't bat an eye.  This issue hints at some of the mysteries of the Green Wake, frogs being a big part of that.  I don't know where this series is going, and that's what I like most about it.  Wiebe isn't following any of the established rules for a book like this, so I'm pretty interested to see where it all ends up.  I like Rossmo's work on this book, but my usual gripes about him apply here - sometimes it's hard to follow the action, and the symbol that appears on the corpses is not all that clear.

No comments: