Saturday, June 27, 2009

Viking #2

Written by Ivan Brandon
Art by Nic Klein

With the first issue of Viking, it was all about the format and the art for me. I read the story, and had to re-read it to really get a full sense of what was going on, and it left me with a number of questions.

This second issue is a much more superior comic. It is still at that inviting size, and is still beautifully drawn and coloured. If anything, the art is much improved in this issue, as it is a lot easier to figure out who the characters are, and in what way the action is taking place.

But it is the story that makes this comic so much better. Finn and Egil are now separate characters to me, and I understand why the grandfather is so frosty towards one of them (even before they return with the news they bear). The sub-plot with the king, his daughter, and his headsman still hasn't connected to the main story, but I can appreciate that Brandon is going for the slow build.

This is a very interesting comic, and I'm very glad to see that, despite similar subject matter, it's not swimming in the same water as Northlanders.

No comments: