Friday, June 19, 2009

Phonogram: The Singles Club #3

Written by Kieron Gillen
Art by Jamie McKelvie, w/ Leigh Gallagher and Lee O'Connor


I know, when opening an issue of Phonogram, that I'm not going to get more than about half of the musical references, and those are going to be the most common points, as I don't listen to the same music as Gillen and McKelvie (and really can't see them doing an issue on underground hip-hop). Usually it's all good though, although I felt more than a little lost in this issue.

I think the problem is that this issue, unlike the first two, requires some working knowledge of the first Phonogram series, of which I only ever read the first issue (although it's on my list of trades to get someday). I know who David Kohl is, the main character in the first series, but I'm not sure about this Aster girl.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter, because Gillen and McKelvie are so good at writing character moments, that you don't need to know who the characters are to admire their craft - it just helps it all make a little more sense.

Anyway, this is a very good title, and it's starting to look like it's getting itself back on to some sort of regular schedule. The back-ups in this issue are decent - the first somewhat helped me get caught up on the series, and the second is cute.

1 comment:

Jamie McKelvie said...

I don't even like most of the music featured in Phonogram, but of course that's not the point of it.

4's at the printers, I think, so we're on a more regular shedule again following my forays into work-for-hire. :)