Saturday, June 20, 2009

Hellblazer #256

Written by Peter Milligan
Art by Giuseppe Camuncoli and Stefano Landini

I really can't seem to make up my mind about Hellblazer. I enjoyed Milligan's first arc, but wasn't as impressed by his second. I like the introduction of characters like Phoebe, John's current love interest, and Julian, the Ekkimu to whose skin John is addicted, but I'm not sure that a 'love potion' plot is right for a character like Constantine. I feel that, at this point in his life, he would know better. All the same, I'm intrigued to see how this all plays out.

The art is great. I've liked Camuncoli since his run on The Intimates (now there's a comic I miss), and while he's not as gritty as Hellblazer artists usually are, I feel like his look fits this title nicely, for a change.

I'm sticking with this title through the end of this arc, but am not promising anything past that.

No comments: