Saturday, June 20, 2009

Crate Digging: 3 Years, 5 Months and 2 Days in the Life of...

by Arrested Development

Now this here was a much loved album back in the day. I think I would have been 16 or 17 when this came out, and I remember it got a lot of play from me. I wasn't that interested in a lot of the hip-hop that was out there, but there was something about this cd that I connected to, even though my life and circumstances were very different from those of Speech and his crew.

Listening to this album again today, for the first time in some years, I'm struck by how well it holds up. The music still sounds decent today, with its lively instrumentation, and many of the messages behind Speech's songs still hold true.

The religious content in many of the songs is what originally interested me. Here are people calling out the churches for their inability to affect change in peoples' temporal lives, yet they are clearly believers in a higher power. These guys got a lot of radio play when this album dropped - this type of thing is nowhere to be found outside of college radio these days.

No comments: