Monday, January 16, 2012

The Stepkids

by The Stepkids

When I was trying to decide what to get at the music store one day, I asked the owner what this sounded like.  I have a wary respect for Stones Throw Records and their output - most of it I love, but when I don't like something in their catalogue, I really don't like it.

Anyway, the store owner said it's a little like The Free Design, and that sold me on The Stepkids.  The band consists of three people who sing and write all of their music.  It's the type of band I find hard to describe, so I'll instead crib this description from Stones Throw's website:
The Stepkids groove is a fusion of punk and jazz, West African and 1960s folk, neo and classic soul, classic funk and 20th century classical.
You can't get much clearer than that, right?

This is a fun, quick album (with only ten tracks), which I find myself enjoying more with each listen. I'd like to see this band mix things up with some of the other Stones Throw artists like Koroush, Oh No, or Madlib.

No comments: