Sunday, February 13, 2011

Stupid Comics #1

by Jim Mahfood

I feel like I really need to track down more of Jim Mahfood's work.  I've read the Phoenix Edition of his Stupid Comics, basically a collection of a strip he did for an independent paper, and I read his Grrrl Scouts, but this is the first I've read of this series, which looks like it lasted three issues, spread over a number of years.

Anyway, this issue is made up of a number of one-page strips, with a couple lasting two pages.  Mahfood is a comics creator after my own heart - he listens to hip-hop, funk, and afrobeat music, and writes about jazz, the War on Terror, the War on Drugs, Catholicism, celebrity worship, technology obsessions, and gender relations.  He takes street kids to task for being boring, but also rails against hipster 'loop diggas'.

His pages are crammed full of his angry comics goodness, making this single issue a lengthy, complicated read.  I'm not sure what he's been up to lately, but I feel like I need to find out.

No comments: